Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My latest creation!

Hi everybody! Its finally getting to be nice outside! But with all the hot, humid, and rainy days lately I've found my self to be in my studio quite often! I went out the other day and didn't know what to make. So I started thinking about what I would need for school. That's when it hit me, I knew what I was going to make! A laptop bag! I knew it would be a challenge because it had to be padded, rather large, and I had to get it done that day. (As the rest of this week has been dedicated to all things college! I leave Friday!)

So the next task was finding all the materials! I found an old blanket to use as padding, an old belt to strengthen my handle, and my fabrics. I'm a music fanatic! So I picked my favorite material, black fabric with neon music notes and stave's on it! Then the interior was to be a bright green.

I had no idea what I had just gotten my self into! My first step was to figure out how big to make it, then add some for the bottom... I'm not sure what the measurements actually were... I just went off of how big my laptop was. So then I sewed the exterior fabric to the padding, which was more difficult than I thought it would be. I didn't realize that my blanket had a little stretch to it... so once it was sewn on I had about and extra inch of fabric at the top and on one side! Then I proceeded to make my bag as normal.

My next challenge was how to close it... I knew I needed something that would flip over the top of the bag. So I created a square of material (It was black on the bottom and neon and pink on the top and i added a little piece of ribbon so it could close) and sewed it to the back. So that step wasn't that hard once I used a little sewing tape to hold it in place, the pins just weren't doing it! When I used pins it shifted so much that I had to pull out all the stitches and redo it, that's when I used the tape :0)

Then i realized i never put in the rings for the handles! So i had to sew my material over the rings for the handles to threw. Then undo the top sides of the bag so that i could put the handle rings in! I used an old belt covered in black fabric for the handle, to help give it a little durability. Then i sewed the handle in place. And i was finished!

All in all i think it came out great... Although i do need a different button. It was the only one i had handy so i just used it... The next time i go out I'm going to half to look for one! But I think it will do the job! Cant wait to test it out in school!

No comments:

Post a Comment